Client Stories

Contact Us


Medical Centers

Paying the Bills

Adopt A Face

Newsletter Archive

FACES Events


The Independent Charities Seal of Excellence

Sign Up For Our Newletter

* First Name
* Last Name
* Email
* = Required Field

Make a Gift to FACES todayHow Can I Help?


Shop Amazon Smile


FACES UnMasked


Find us on Facebook Tweet us on TwitterFind us on YouTube Find us on Google+Google+

FACES: The National Craniofacial Association
(423) 266-1632
(800) 332-2373
P.O. Box 11082, Chattanooga, TN 37401

How do I pay the bills?

Download PDF information sheet

Dealing with the cost of medical treatment for your child can be overwhelming. The information below can help get you started.

There are several sources of funding available to cover the cost of medical care for your child.

Am I Alone?
No! There are many families and organizations who will be glad to talk with you and help you with information and support.

Health Insurance
Private and group health insurance will usually pay at least part of the cost of treatment of craniofacial conditions. The following are important considerations when dealing with health insurance companies.

Always request a copy of your health insurance policy, not the benefits summary brochure. The brochure is not specific enough.

Remember, the insurance company works for you. You pay them to provide a service. When dealing with the insurance company, be sure to:

Back to Top

Public Programs
There are a variety of federal and/or state funded programs that may be able to help your child receive the care he/she needs. A few are:

These programs are a good source of information. The following website is an excellent one that will take you to all of the programs available in your individual state: www.insurekidsnow.gov. They are required by the government to have "800" numbers. When dealing with public programs, be sure to:

Back to Top

Private and Non-profit Agencies
There are numerous private and non-profit agencies which may be able to help out. Many organizations deal only with a specific disability or illness. Some organizations in your community could be:

Shriner's Hospitals, Lions Clubs, Police Benevolent Associations, Civitan Clubs, Kiwanis Clubs, Sertoma Clubs, Churches, Rotary Clubs, and Junior League Organizations.

If they cannot help you, always ask if they can refer you to another organization who might be able to help.

Shriners Hospitals for Children-Cincinnati
All care at Shriners Hospitals for Children-Cincinnati is provided in a family-centered environment, regardless of a family’s ability to pay. One telephone call is all it takes to schedule an appointment: 866-206-2096. Families do not have be associated with a Shriner or Shrine organization to obtain care, nor is there an application process. Parents can call the toll-free number and answer a few medical history questions and schedule an appointment. A photo may be requested prior to scheduling to show the physician.

The UnitedHealthcare Children’s Foundation (UHCCF) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that provides medical grants to help children gain access to health-related services not covered, or not fully covered, by their parents’ commercial health insurance plan. www.uhccf.org

Other Alternatives
There are several other things you can do to help pay for and/or reduce medical bills:

Finally, be proactive. Become an advocate for your child. Speak out; it is the only way in which health care reform will occur.

Back to Top

Am I Alone?
No! There are many families and organizations who will be glad to talk with you and help you with information and support. Don't forget books, videos, and even websites. Listed below are a few resources to get you started.

FACES: The National Craniofacial Association
P. O. Box 11082
Chattanooga, TN 37401
email: faces@faces-cranio.org
We provide financial support for non-medical expenses to patients traveling to a craniofacial center for treatment. Eligibility is based on financial and medical need. Resources include newsletters, information about craniofacial conditions, and networking opportunities.

National Health Law Program
1444 I Street NW, Suite 1105
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 289-7661
Website: www.healthlaw.org
Provides extensive information on health care law affecting families whose children have special healthcare needs.

Example of letter to write when your insurance company denies your claim.

Example of letter to write when you disagree with the amount the insurance company pays on your claim.

Example of letter to write to your state insurance commissioner to lodge a complaint against your insurance company.

Back to top

Cleft Advocate
This website, www.cleftadvocate.com, under the direction of Deb Oliver, focuses on a number of financial issues of cleft repair and treatment. She includes a number of example letters to assist parents in appealing insurance decisions, as well as to assist with state Medicaid issues. Most of the information on this website is very applicable to other craniofacial disorders and can provide excellent assistance to parents making their way through the insurance maze.

Back to Top

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2200 Research Blvd
Rockville, MD 20850
Click HERE for a checklist developed by this organization outlining how to approach an employer to request that health plan coverage for speech and hearing services be added or improved.

Back to Top

Hill Burton Act
This legislative act provides funds for indigent care at hospitals where federal monies were used for construction. The hospital admissions office has information on the availability of these funds and the guidelines for eligibility.

Back to Top

National Association of Insurance Commissioners
444 N. Capital Street NW Suite 701
Washington, D.C. 20001
(202) 471-3990
Provides information on the Insurance Commissioner in your state. The state insurance commissioner is the governing body that regulates the insurance companies doing business in your state. This office can assist you in determining if your insurance company is following all the rules and regulations as set forth in your policy.

Back to Top

Patient Advocate Foundation
421 Butler Farm Road
Hampton, VA 23666
email: help@patientadvocate.org
website: www.patientadvocate.org
Patient Advocate Foundation is a national, non-profit organization that seeks to safeguard patients through effective mediation assuring access to care, maintenance of employment, and preservation of their financial stability. Patient Advocate Foundation serves as an active liaison between patients and their insurer, employer and/or creditors to resolve insurance, job retention, and/or debt crisis matters relative to their diagnosis through case managers and attorneys.

Back to Top